Friday, February 24, 2012

The Bible is Written to Correct All Errors of Any Kind

The Bible is Written to Correct All Errors of Any Kind

A brother wrote:

Just a note for those who are really interested in the Bible. Not one word of it was written to correct the errors of denominationalism. Every passage dealing with division relates to those who are brethren who are not together. Let us learn to quit using The Book to attack denominationalism. It didn't exist when it was written.

TB:  First, let me say that teaching the truth about someone’s errors is not “attacking” them necessarily. When we preach against the errors of adulterers and fornicators, we don’t view ourselves as “attacking” those people. We should be lovingly pointing out the truth in hopes that the truth will weigh in on their minds and consciences. We “cast down imaginations”(2 Cor.10:4-5) because we hope people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth that will set men free from all kinds of errors and enslavements (John 8:30-31).

Secondly, it does not matter when denominations came into existence,  they came into existence by teaching error, not truth.  The truth is written to correct those and all other errors. The scriptures are given “for correction and instruction in righteousness” (2 Tim.3:16-17).  Paul wrote the Corinthians to correct their divisions (1 Cor.1:10-13).  Thus, whenever someone establishes a division and teaches error, the Bible was written to correct and instruct (2 Tim.3:16-17) those errors and all other errors. When people today join denominations that were built around men, no matter if they existed in the first century or not, and they are saying “I am of John Wesley” or “I am of Joseph Smith” or “I am of Martin Luther” etc. , then the Bible certainly IS written to correct those errors too.

If we take that preacher’s statement above to the logical conclusion, we would have to say that we should not use the Bible to correct people in Islam since Islam did not exist when the Bible was written. The Bible is written "for correction and instruction in righteousness" no matter who needs correction and instruction and no matter when a new error or division arises.  Our brother said: "Not one word of it was written to correct the errors of denominationalism". Now if denominationalism is right, the Bible will not correct it. If it is wrong, then it is at least ONE of the things it was written to correct. If not, why not?  I could not get an answer to this.

I thought surely he meant something else and I wanted him to clarify his statement, but he took offense that I would dare to ask questions of him so that he could clarify. If the Bible does not correct errors of denominationalism, then it leaves those errors alone.  Can one be reconciled to God and remain in a denomination? Yes or no! Can you live for the Lord and remain in denominationalism? To say that the Bible does not correct the errors of denominationalism seems clearly to imply that a person can be brought to the Lord and remain permanently in denominations.  I realize that time and growth may be involved, but even then they will not leave a denomination and be just a Christian unless the Bible does indeed correct the errors of denominationalism.

He said: “When I teach a sinner about Christ and lead him to the Lord the one will have left denominationalism.”  But, many people think they have been led to Christ and STAY in the denomination.  So, what will be said from the Bible to correct this situation? There must be something in the teaching of Jesus that will correct the person and make him understand that he needs to leave the denomination.  Another brother made a very good observation. He said:



Sometimes when typing, as some have noticed, my mind runs ahead of what I am typing and I don’t type all the words I am thinking, thus leaving out a key word now and then. Sometimes that key word can make all the difference in the world.



For example, if I were to write, “you don’t lead people to Christ by preaching against false teaching,” that would be misleading. But if I were to write, “you don’t lead people to Christ by JUST preaching against false teaching,” then that would be right on. That little word, “just” makes all the difference in the world.



When preparing soil for planting it is often necessary to clear the ground of briars and weeds before planting the good seed. It is rather naive to think that the good seed will somehow thrive and push out the well rooted briars and weeds. But after the briars and weeds have been removed, then the good seed must saturate the soil or briars and weeds will return with a vengeance. Also, when nurturing and cultivating the crop springing forth from the good seed, one must keep the hoe handy to chop out any returning weeds or they will take over the ground.-Unquote!

That well summarizes the issue. If the brother had only clarified that he meant to say that you do not lead people to Christ by ONLY talking about the errors of denominations, there would have been hardy “amens”,  but he did not try to clarify that way at all. I asked, “why will leading a person to the Lord cause them to leave denominationalism if the Bible does not correct "the errors of denominationalism"?  Our brother still refused to clarify. Leading to Christ is simultaneously a commitment to leave all sin. If denominationalism is not a sin, why will one leave something that is right and not sinful ?  The scriptures are written to guide men into all truth and to correct them from all kinds of error, no matter when it started.  Granted that it will correct some things more quickly than others, but to say the Bible does not correct the errors of denominationalism is not sound reasoning.

One good sister wrote:

 I cannot comment on ---------  --------‘s status, but if I could - I would say that while denominationalism may not have been present during the first century, there certainly were false teachers - both members of the church and non-members. The Scriptures were, in part, most certainly written to combat false teachings. So the question becomes - are denominations teaching false doctrines?



Since the answer is also most certainly yes - then the Scriptures are definitely written to correct the errors of denominationalism.



It's that simple. Isn't it? –Unquote!  Well, it seems that simple to me, but some others are saying that I misunderstood the brother.  I certainly don’t wish to misunderstand, and I certainly don’t wish to differ with anyone, but, I don’t know how else to understand the words my bother used.  I got accused to being unbrotherly, and I certainly don’t want to be unbrotherly.  Some thought they got another idea from his words than I and several others did, but for some reason I could not get their explanations to jive with his words. So, I will just hope that I got the wrong impression and when it finally dawns on me I will make apology and correction, or it will dawn on him that he should apologize for his words.  I do not like being misunderstood, nor do I desire to misunderstand any other brother.

Does the Bible correct the errors of denominationalism? Absolutely!  It corrects all errors of any kind.  Let me close with another quote from another sister who observed:

I always thought Paul rebuking the Corinthians for thinking they were "of Paul" or "of Apollos" were the indications of the beginning of denominationalism. Yes, they were Christians, but to me it's the same as saying "I am of John Wesley" or "I am of Martin Luther". I don't think those men thought they were starting "denominations", but that was the beginning.-Unquote!

The very attitudes that led to some saying “I am of Paul” was “corrected” by the Bible. It was written to correct such errors.  It is written to correct errors that later on developed from those same divisive attitudes into the modern full-fledged denominational divisions.  People who are lead to Jesus will learn from Jesus in His word the errors of denominationalism and seek to live on the Rock of Jesus’ will.

Galatians 5:19-21 talk about “seditions” and heresies.  Those are forms of division. Denominationalism is a modern form of seditions and heresies and division.  The Bible was written to lead us to Christ and “teach us His ways” Matt.11:28; Isa.2:1-4).  He prayed for unity of all disciples (John 17:17ff). He teaches us against forming divisions and supporting false teaching (2 John 9-10).  To teach people to come to Jesus is to teach them to learn from Him and to give up all forms of sin. So, in learning from Jesus in His word, the Bible, we find that He corrects all kinds of errors in thought and practice, no matter when that particular error came into being.  I fully expect Him to correct me if I am wrong about any of this. If I am wrong, I want to be corrected.  We are disciples of Jesus in order to grow and let Him correct us. I hope good things for all my brethren.

Terry W. Benton